Monday, May 19, 2008

Michigan Fantasy Camp: Final Part 5

The Dream That Will Never End…An experience of the football camp last year:

After lunch, we headed back to Schembechler Hall for the final time. It is time for the film review from this mornings practice. First Coach Debord comes out. The lowlights that he shows us just proves that in reality we are not real Michigan players. You cannot hide from the camera and Debord points this out and he does not hold back. He tries to correct the mistakes but will also make fun of you in a good-natured way. Like Coach Carr says, it is easy to make fun of your friend sitting next to you in the film meetings but you have to learn to laugh at yourself. At some point, you are going to get your ass kicked by another player. You learn from it and laugh at yourself but make sure it does not happen again.

When the defensive staff comes into the room after, things are different. The intensity picks up. More teaching is going on. Still some joking but it is definitely a different tone. After we went through our film, Coach English said he wanted us to see the real players. He put in a DVD, the first thing you see is a jungle, and Wolves are eating a dead Elephant. Ripping the flesh and then you see a tiger chasing and killing a zebra and then you see a storm , but the clouds eventually clear and you see a set of goalposts and then music starts playing and they show you hit after hit from last years defense. I think everybody was ready to go through a wall after seeing that. With this staff on defense, I really think Michigan will be more than good. They are great teachers. Coach Carr then came, talked us for about thirty minutes, and fielded questions. I am going to be sad to see him retire when the time comes. He may not be an electrifying speaker but he is a man that exudes confidence and control. When he speaks, I can see why the parents of players love him and why many players look at him like a father figure. He is a great representative for the University of Michigan.

The time has come. The moment that not all of us could wait for yet the moment we most dreaded because our dream would be ending soon but I know this dream will have a happy conclusion. It is time to take the field and go into battle. We get on the bus for the last time and excitement and anticipation is starting to take over. The bus is quiet we are ready! We are about to do something that all Michigan fans dream of doing since we were little kids. We pulled up to the stadium and all of our fans are cheering us on. Maybe a 1,000 people holding video cameras and signs. Ok, Ok, maybe there was 50 fifty people but it sounded like a thousand. I noticed Kim right away poised with a video camera cheering on her gridiron hero and I could feel a huge smile on my face. Remember this is my day. The excitement was building and that is no joke. You tried to stay calm because after all you were supposed to be a big strong football player for at least another hour.

We walked into our locker room. The first thing you notice is the huge block “M” on the floor and then you notice that every man has his jersey hanging up in his locker stall. The room was quiet this was our moment. First the shorts, then the jersey and after we laced up the cleats I pulled my hat on my head so that the bill of the hat covered my eyes just in the case the moment got to me. As we exited the locker room, everybody touches the “Go Blue” sign hanging above the door. The tunnel is dark and every little noise echoed. At the end of the tunnel, you could see the light and a small part of the field and stadium is visible. The Victors is sung in the tunnel. You stand there trying to remember every moment you are experiencing. The yelling of “Go Blue!” is everywhere. You can hear the stadium announcer calling out names, the same announcer that drove from Chicago today just announce our football team. For some reason I could not stand still. I wanted to get out there. Only two more guys and then me. Then I hear “Number 7 from Wyandotte” and then I take off. I was so distracted and excited that I did not even hear my name. What an unbelievable feeling!! As you exit the tunnel, the size of the stadium engulfs you. Part of me will never be the same. As you run out on the field and head toward your teammates, you notice their smiles because they have just experienced the same thing you did and it feels damn good.

We take a team picture and break into our teams. I am playing football at Michigan stadium and it actually seems like we know what we are doing. I am proud of our team. It is amazing because yesterday some could not tell left from right and now we are actually running real plays. There is just enough time in my dream for one final thing.

Our leader, Coach Carr called us together and congratulated us and than said that after every victory the team sings The Victors in the locker room but we are going to sing the greatest fight song in the country in the greatest stadium in world. He says “One, two you know what to do… .” Hail to the Victors valiant……..That was song was sung as loud and as forceful as one can sing it. This is a proud moment in my life. Then bang !!! It is over. I am awake. I see Kim and give her a hug and I think to myself that through all the wins and losses, it always “GREAT TO BE A MICHIGAN WOLVERINE!”

written by MORENCIE124

Thanks for stopping by http://gobluemichiganwolverine.blogspot.com/
If you have any questions please e-mail erocwolverine@gmail.com

No comments:

GBMWolverine Counter

Total Pageviews