Tuesday, September 01, 2009
Michigan Football Tidbits: Coach Rod and his approach to football
We here at GBMW have been very consistent and (somewhat humbly patting ourselves on the back) very accurate when describing Coach Rod and his approach to football. And this goes back to day 1
1) Coach Rod is a simple coach. He simply just wants to coach football and gets irritated by anything that does not directly apply to coaching. Some fans have always thought this was a slam when we said it, but it is true he just wants to be a football coach and not partake in the peripherals.
2) Coach Rod has had a very hard time understanding why people come after him and the program, since he previously held and currently holds the belief that every major program in the county has the basic same goal: to win football games.
3) Coach has adjusted (somewhat) to all the political "BS" that comes with coaching at Michigan, although others within the university community have been forced to adjust to him.
The Good and The Bad:
1) Coach Rod, although a veteran college football coach, is learning fast that there is more to coaching at Michigan than just blowing the whistle. So he is either going to have to improve in the PR arena (especially if your going to be more open to the media and fans) or he is going to have to re-adjust/change the people around him.
2) Coach Rod is an intense competitor and in some ways this will motivate him even more.
1) Credibility is everything in coaching, and now Coach Rod has to again mount a fight to regain this attribute. Even if the accusations are proven to be wrong, or are simply impossible to document, the credibility issue will linger and opponents, whether you call it dirty recruiting or something else. will flourish in the next few years.
2) Coach Rod may decide that he just wants to be at a place that he can be what he is, a football coach. That is what scares me the most.
One final point:
This will blow over in the eyes of the players, some fans, etc. But Coach Rod, or any coach on the staff, including Coach Barwis, will never forget this fiasco. They consider this a personal attack.
Some or all of us here totally agree.
Thanks for stopping by Go Blue Michigan Wolverine
If you have any questions please E-Mail
Written by MaizeMan and ErocWolverine